So You Want To Start A Food Business

So you want to start a food business image

If you are thinking about opening a food business in Idaho, there are many regulatory requirements that you will need to meet as well as a variety of regulatory agencies you may have to work with. The information provided here is intended to answer some basic questions, give you an overview of the different types of food establishments, and introduce you to the different regulatory agencies involved in food safety. In addition to Eastern Idaho Public Health (EIPH) requirements, you may also be subject to other state and federal requirements.

The regulations you will be subject to, as well as which agency you will be regulated by, depends upon your food product(s) and the type of facility you operate.

The information on this website is intended to help you identify what local, state, or federal regulations must be met relative to your intended food business.

Generally speaking:

  • Health Districts regulate retail food establishments (i.e. grocery stores, restaurants, cafeterias, food trucks, temporary food booths, etc.)
  • U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates food and food ingredients introduced into or offered for sale in interstate commerce, except meat, poultry, and eggs.
  • U.S. Dept. of Agriculture regulates meat, poultry, and eggs.
  • Idaho State Dept. of Agriculture regulates farming and agriculture products (including dairy) within the state of Idaho.