Frequently Asked Questions

WIC is a supplemental nutrition program for Women, Infants and Children up to age 5. It provides nutritious supplemental foods, breastfeeding support, as well as nutrition education and referral to health care services at no cost to eligible families.

  • Pregnant women
  • Women who are breastfeeding a baby under 1 year of age
  • Women who have had a baby or miscarriage in the past six months
  • Parents, step-parents, guardians, and foster parents of infants and children under the age of 5 can apply for their children.
  • If you have a job or if you have private health insurance, you can still apply for WIC. You do not have to be married to apply for WIC.

You or your child must live in Idaho.  To be eligible, applicants’ income must fall at or below 185 percent of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines

A person who participates or has family members who participate in certain other benefit programs, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, automatically meets the income eligibility requirement.

Fathers and grandparents of children under the age of 5 are encouraged to enroll their children in the WIC program.  A parent or guardian can bring their children to appointments, attend nutrition classes, and receive and redeem benefits for their children.

Fill out this application or call 208-522-3823

Our fully staffed clinics are as follows:

Idaho Falls:
1250 Hollipark
Idaho Falls, ID 83401

380 Community Lane
Rigby, ID 83442

314 North 3rd East
Rexburg, ID 83440

There are also clinics for in-person appointments in Driggs, Dubois, Challis, St. Anthony, and Salmon

After making an appointment at a WIC clinic near you, you can expect the following:

  • WIC staff will review income, residency and identification information with you. At that time you will be told if your family is eligible for WIC services. If eligible:
  • Trained WIC staff will also conduct a health screening for all family members applying. This includes a finger stick blood test to check iron status (for older infants, children and women), measuring height and weight, and asking you some questions about your health and diet.
  • At the end of the appointment you will receive food benefits and a WIC card that you may use that day.

All Applicants need to bring the following to the first appointment:

  1. Adult Identification (Examples – Driver’s license, passport, social security card)
  2. Proof of Household Income (Only if you are not currently receiving Medicaid or SNAP) (Examples – Paystubs from last 30 days, recent tax return)
  3. Proof of Address (Examples – Driver’s license, mail, bill, recent rent receipt that shows address)
  4. For infants/children
    1. Infants/Children applying for WIC must be present for application appointment.
    2. Infant/Child Identification (Example – Immunization records, birth certificate, Infant’s hospital crib care, social security card)

Initially you might come in once the next month, as needed. Generally, contacts are every 3 months. The contacts can be in person, online or over the phone depending on your unique situation.

Check out WIC’s tasty, nutritious food list.

Look for this WIC logo on the front of a grocery store near you.

The WIC care can be used at any authorized WIC vendor in Idaho. It is not accepted in other states.

At this time, WIC is not accepted at farmer’s markets in Idaho.

At this time, WIC is not accepted for grocery pick up. Some stores will allow you to use self-checkout however.

If your card is lost, damaged or stolen, immediately call the WIC office 208-522-3823, or the customer service line on the back of the card. A new card will be issued to you. (It is important to keep your address updated with your WIC clinic as government mail will NOT be forwarded).

  1. Check and make sure the food is allowed and it is the correct brand and size.
  2. Use the WICShopper app to scan the item to see if it is WIC approved.
  3. Check your food benefits balance to make sure it is available on your card.
  4. Use the “I couldn’t buy this!” link in the WICShopper app.
  5. Tell your local clinic.

The Idaho WIC card can only be used in Idaho. If you are moving, contact your WIC clinic for transfer papers.

Call your local WIC Clinic. They can get you in touch with a peer counselor. Peer counselors are current or former WIC participants who are trained to help new moms breastfeed their babies.  Peer counselors are there for moms by appointment at the WIC Office or by phone/text evenings and weekends.

Non-Discrimination Statement

USDA is an equal opportunity provider. USDA es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.